• Visite Classe 1900 - St-Girons
  • Visite Église Luzenac de Moulis
  • Visite chez les artistes - St-Girons
  • Marbre d'Aubert
  • Visite des savoir-faire
   
   

Castrum of CaumontCaumont would mean the bald or the hot mountain. Located near a heavily travelled lane, the inhabitants found refuge behind the Castrum’s ramparts

Occupied during the Roman era, the village offers an interesting archeological heritage with its Castrum and its XIIIth century medieval fortress, located at the summit of the Plech hill.

The fortress was composed of 47 cells and a dungeon with a 118 m long and 44 m wide oval shaped enclosure. In the cells, evidence of fire places and some key holes can be seen.

North and south, the doors were protected by barbicans. Two 12 m high towers subsist on the irregular bedrock.
Was the fortress likely to be a refuge in case of danger? About 400 people could be accommodated and maybe the « rooms » even had a second floor which would have doubled its reception capacity. The roofs were roman-tiled.

There was no water tank but a well at the foot of the rocky cliff. The well was filled and so abandoned during the construction of the railroad. Before, Napoleon III encouraged excavations that were undertaken and several iron items and coins of Philippe le Bel (1285-1314) and Jacques II of Aragon (1291-1327) were found.
The Castrum was never mentioned in any document, but certain construction details allow us to date it back to the XIIIth century. Maybe it was the English who destroyed it at the end of the XIVth century.

In 1839, Arisitde Bergès found the following inscription : « At temps qu’ech Anglès rautvajo en Plech ».
It was thought that the castle of Sainte-Catherine in Balaguères was a similar refuge-castle. Finally, it seems not to be the case. Only the Castelas of Belvezet, near Uzès (Gard) and two fortresses of the Isle of Cyprus present notable similarities.

In the coppice near the Plech hill, the ruins of a small church can be seen. The former village was located in the nearby fields : former cemetery, vestiges, brick fragments…

Access : from Saint-Girons, take the D117 road in the direction of the A64 road. After a 10 mn drive (8km), cross the Caumont village and take the 3rd street on the right indicating “parking” space. Park and follow the signs indicating “Castrum”. The track to the Castrum starts at the bottom right of the parking space.

A 20 mn walk will lead you to the Castrum.